Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Winter City

Today I wrote a pop song. I sat down and tried to write something short and catchy. It reminds me of Elvis Costello and that ‘s a good thing.

Hate To Be You

(This is the obligatory chorus)

“When you’re so beautiful
You don’t know what the darkness means.
I would hate to be you,
I would hate to be you,
And you would kill me to be me.”

I think it could be the start of the show. But I will probably change my mind by Thursday. I called Stephen to see if he was around to see if he could drop by the house to listen to the new act of musicality, but he was in Melbourne. He takes his dog to the vet in Werribee. He asked me what I was calling about and I didn’t really have an answer except to say that I was hoping he was going to be around so he could have a listen. I thought how lucky I was to have found a new friend, not just a collaborator, but somebody I could call in the middle of the afternoon. Of course I didn't tell him that. I just asked him what he was doing and he told me he was in Melbourne. But I just said that...

He said he has written some music also. Which is great. He is sending it through tonight.

He said this project is like somebody or something has lifted the pressure valve on something that had been bubbling away for a long time. I know what he means, there doesn’t seem to be a right or wrong in this process, it’s just collate and collect and release. That’s good, the direction is defining the project. Russian dolls. We're getting closer.

********

I’m not feeling optimistic today.

********

It’s cold and I’m financially challenged.

*******

That said - I walked for an hour down Pakington Street. This is the longest street in this town. I went to the Fishmonger and bought fish. I then went to the vegie place and bought vegies. This life is a village experience.

It can be a beautiful place.

The fish was good.
















The first line of Hate To be You is - "I don't know how to begin."

No comments:

Post a Comment