Monday, May 11, 2009

No Clear Direction Home


This blog is a record of work and construction. The beginning of a work that has no clear definition.

Right now... This Highway Home is going to be a new piece of theatre, written and performed by (at least) Ross Mueller & Stephen Oakes.

So far it is music and digital images They will be tied together to tell a story about a town like Geelong. This is art from an industrial town.

Stephen describes himself as a Digital Artist. He writes and records experimental music. He makes animations and films. We met working on a development of a Back2Back show called Light Letters. It was quite a revelation. We discovered that we both went to the same school, (there was a few years difference) and here we were - meeting as men in the middle distance of their lives. We agreed that we had similar feelings about living and working in this town. We decided that we wanted to make some work together. Something that was personal and reflective of our own journeys as men and as artists in this regional town. This week we are beginning to collaborate with Cricket. She is a great photographer and one of my best mates. The three of us are excited about this next step.

The common thread is living in a town that doesn't know what we're talking about.

People here define people by what they used to be. They categorise and label you for life. This way you can never leave in their minds and never leave the town. You are imprisoned by your past. No matter how much you run or where you live, or what you achieve - you will always be:
"..that bloke who used to be the cleaner..." or "...that girl who never said hello..."

There are towns like this all over the world and this place is one of them. Many of us have been born in them and many have moved away, but we all come home. Some of stay forever, some have kids and move away again, some just come home for Christmas. But for all of us do the drive down the highway and think: "I'm never doing this again..." this is the show for you.

Normally I'm a playwright. I used to be a musician. But right now I'm working in an area that combines the two and this is why I feel like I have no clear direction.

I usually start with a story and flesh out the scenes. This time I tried to do that and I got somewhere too fast. I wrote the outline of the story which took three pages of text. On the first day of work with Stephen in the music room - that text was condensed into one song (Nick Cave Music). We were thrilled with the outcome. The song is a great start for us and sums up the joy and alienation of living here. It speaks about difference and dreams of St Kilda and Berlin. But ultimately it only goes for six minutes, the three page outline was supposed to span at least sixty!

It was at this point that I realised that my traditional approach was now no longer appropriate. Perhaps linear is not the right way to go down the highway? We expect to meet some characters and follow them on their journey, but the truth is - people pass quickly in the night.

When I drive home, I make up scenarios for the cars. I imagine arguments and intervene in disputes. I see a grimace or a smile and I try to conjure words that might fight this moment. This keeps me awake, it is not any kind of work method, but maybe this is what I should be doing with this piece? Snapshots of existence - compressed and compiled upon themselves until there is a thick emotional narrative, rather than an obvious flimsy story line. Are moments are stronger than epics? Right now - I think they could be.

Maybe I have to start thinking about this piece as non musical and non theatre? It involves elements of both but really it has to be more. The one big truth is - I have to enjoy it. I haven't told my agent I am writing this piece. There's not a lot of money in musical, digital art is there? So why am I doing it at all?

The joy of making plays is rapidly slipping away in Melbourne. Working with the existing companies in Victoria, you realise just how little control you have in the presentation process. Some of them don't even read the work they have commissioned The discussion about programming one of my works takes years (literally) and so the end result can be something that is reflective of my writing from three years ago, rather than something that is current and urgent. This is not so in Sydney. But in Melbourne the presentation process for a new Australian play is under resourced and unfocused. There is almost no contact with actors and very little tangible discussion with any artistic staff. That is not why I want to write for performance. I write to interract. I write words to be heard.

This Highway Home is a lot more engaging than waiting for the phone to ring. This Highway Home is an opportunity to sing phrases that have been waiting patiently to be released. It is a chance ot make something fast and furious and ultimately - theatrical.

So I will let Process wander. I will not refer to a map. I will enjoy the drive and log the journey and I will note the direction travelled in the end. This way (maybe) I can find my way home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment